[RELEASE] Openbox 3.4

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Tue Jun 5 18:09:19 EDT 2007

After a very productive series of preview releases, Openbox 3.4 is here!

If you haven't yet, we'd really like to recommend that you read
through the "Upgrading to 3.4 guide", which is on the Openbox web
site, here: http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Help:Upgrading_to_3.4

The number of changes since 3.3.1, as you'll know if you've been
following the preview releases, can be a little overwhelming.  The
upgrading to 3.4 guide talks about most of them, along with pretty
pictures to show many of the new features.  But I'll try list some of
the highlights from the guide here:

Usability improvements:
* New login options
* New "Alt-Tab" dialog
* Focus cycling to panels and desktop windows
* Focus cycling across all desktops
* Speed improvements
* Resizing on the window's edges
* Improved language support
* Support true transparent windows (with xcompmgr)
* Improved support for multiple screens
* Complete support for latest EWMH
* Improved session saving and restoring
* Animated iconify and restore
* Synchronized window resizing
* Improved "Show Desktop"
* Chrooted key chains, and key quoting
* Key chain status dialog
* New "MoveFromEdge" actions
* Allow moving maximized windows between monitors

Menu improvements:
* New combined client list menu
* Keyboard accelerators (using letters instead of arrows)
* No more menu titles
* New client menu
* Menu placement
* Support for menus larger than the screen

Theme enhancements:
* New default theme
* User specified fonts
* New tricks for "ParentRelative" textures
* New theme elements for on-screen-displays (such as the Alt-Tab dialog)
* New theme elements for window and menu borders
* New default button images

The full changelog is available here:
http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Openbox:Changelog

Downloads are available here: