[openbox] C-A key combinations not working with openbox 3.3.995

Dirk Jagdmann doj at cubic.org
Tue Jun 5 16:01:23 EDT 2007

Hello Dana,

> This will fix it for now:
>
> % xmodmap -e 'remove control = Caps_Lock'
> % xmodmap -e 'add lock = Caps_Lock'
>
> xkb is a strange beast. I've made some changes that will let your old
> xmodmap settings work, and I think it should be okay that way.  So you
> won't have to do the above in 3.4, it'll just work for you.

Your suggestions point into the right direction. I never though that my
ages old reconfiguration of the caps-lock key could cause any trouble.
However I currently don't understand what's going wrong here.

I had the following two lines in my .Xmodmap to clear the caps lock
function from the caps-key and make the caps-key a third control-key:

clear lock
add control = Caps_Lock

My .Xmodmap is loaded from my .xinitrc (I start X11 via startx) before
we load openbox. If both lines are present I have the described bug,
that C-A key combinations don't work.

If I only have the following line in the .Xmodmap everything works:

clear lock

However now the caps-key is without function. But if I now issue a
"xmodmap -e 'add control = Caps_Lock'" in an xterm my modmap is adjusted
as I like it, and C-A key combinations work in openbox too.

So it seems to matter at which point (before or after openbox is
started) the modmap is changed.

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann ^ doj / cubic
----> http://cubic.org/~doj