[openbox] New kid on the block

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Fri Jul 6 17:49:57 EDT 2007

On 7/6/07, Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I've just started using openbox and seem to be getting on fairly well
> but there are a few points I'd like help on that don't seem to be
> mentioned on the website or in any of the list archives.
>
> Is there a list of what options are settable in
> ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml ?

They are reasonably well documented in the default configuration file,
and the latest ObConf provides access to most every option (outside of
the key/mouse bindings, which are documented in the wiki).

> Most WMs have 'sides' to windows but openbox only seems to have
> corners, title and bottom. Is this right?

In 3.3 yes, in 3.4 no.

> I've configured things so that clicking in the 'client' area grabs
> focus but doesn't change window stacking level. However Open Office,
> and the Mozilla apps don't seem to obey this, and raise on focus.
> Strangely debian's IceWeasel (which is of course firefox in new clothes)
> behaves as I would expect.

If they raise themselves, then they raise themselves.  For a while we
tried preventing windows from raising themselves arbitrarily, which
was nice, except that it broke other applications - specifically the
ever popular pypanel.

> I'm using V 3.3-2.1 on 64bit debian etch.

Please upgrade.  We even provide an etch deb.