[openbox] Render with Cairo

Yen-Ju Chen yjchenx at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 16:34:07 EDT 2007

On 4/3/07, eveel <ezd at 2-u.ru> wrote:
> Yen-Ju Chen wrote:
> > I wonder whether OpenBox has plan to use Cairo for rendering ?
> > Although it is another dependency, it is very common now.
> > I think it will make drawing a lot easier for OpenBox.
>
> Openbox is a lightweight window manager that tries to Keep It Simple,
> isn't it?
>
> Cairo is useless in openbox.

  Openbox is lightweight, but it does not mean it cannot use other libraries.
  An example is that it uses pango for i18n if it is available.
  Cairo will be more and more common in the future.
  Using cairo does not mean OpenBox need to do all the fancy drawing.
  But it can make the drawing part in OpenBox simpler
  while users may not notice the different.
  So I am not proposing new feature.
  I just suggest it may be better than current rendering code in
openbox for developers.
  Cairo can handle byte-order, color depth, gradient, etc.
  Currently, OpenBox handle these by itself.
  But since current rendering code work well,
  I understand there is no obvious need to use cairo.

  Yen-Ju