[openbox] refocus on raise or lower in the followMouse mode

Andrei Paskevich andrei at capet.iut-fbleau.fr
Mon Oct 16 13:18:10 EDT 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 at 11:04:41 (+0100), Neil Bird wrote:
> Around about 14/10/06 20:04, Andrei Paskevich typed ...
> >Still, there is a feature that I missed a lot, namely,
> >when "focus follows mouse", it does follow mouse also
> >when windows are raised and lowered or, maybe, appear
> >under your pointer (e.g, an IM message box).
>
>   If you check the archives, I believe this has come up a couple of times
> before, alongside the explanation of why it is the way it is.
>
>   My solution (posted earlier) is a small 'refocus' util which I map to be
> run straight after the relevant commands (e.g,. raise/lower, W/S change).
>
>   I think I recall someone else posting another method.
>
> --
> [neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
> [neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature
> ls: .signature: No such file or directory
> [neil at fnx ~]# exit

Thanks a lot, and forgive me for not doing it before posting.
A fascinating reading, indeed. There were good explanations
about how can one work mostly with keyboard and still use
the mouse pointer as the focus reference, and I won't repeat
them. Let's hope that one day the herd of whining users will
reach the critical mass :)

One remark, though. It all that were about keybound raising or
lowering, there would be no problem: just add "Unfocus" to the
appopriate sections in rc.xml (do we really need any external
'refocus' tool you were talking about?). The problem is where
windows raise or appear "by themselves", e.g. a popup message
box of some IM. An FFM user might wish it to take focus only
if the new-raised window appears below pointer, not otherwise.
I don't see any way to achieve that without hacking the code.

Also, thanks to Mikael Magnusson for his comment to Emile Snyder
(Tue, 9 May 2006 10:17:36 +0200) about dropping client_action_*().
It's nice to see that the behaviour we look for is already there,
just blocked.

Best regards,
Andrei