[openbox] new xdg menu pipemenu

Nathan Fisher nfisher at grafpup.com
Wed May 31 23:24:03 EDT 2006

HI, new to the list here. I'm the guy with the xdg pipe menu in c. It
actually doesn't require libgnome but libgnome-menu, not a whole lot of
dependencies involved.Just glib, libc, and liblinux which just about
everybody has anyway no matter how minimal the distro. I saw the other xdg
pipe menu that comes with obmenu and that whole package is great, but it
requires python which a lot of minimal distros don't have.

Anyway, I wanted to gauge whether someone else would find this useful and
judging by all the responses I guess so. I'll do some more tinkering with
it when I find some time, but I have a ton of other work at the moment so
it might not be right away.

BTW, the code for rendering the submenus is in there but commented out,
because it caused some problems for me. It renders the submenus correctly
but then the entire thing as a submenu within the pipe menu, see my little
diagram below. Being relatively new to OpenBox I wasn't sure how to
approach this dillema. It hasn't come up with similar code in a few other
WM's that I've done this for.

#Menu#
######
#Pipe##Pipe#######
######      #Submenu#####

I've placed a tarball containing the source and an executable on my
server, ftp://texasangel.org/pub/grafpup/sources/obx-xdgmenu.tar.gz

Thanks,
Nathan