[openbox] No text and buttons in the titlebar

Manuel Colmenero m.kolme at gmail.com
Wed May 31 15:08:28 EDT 2006

On Wed, 31 May 2006 20:39:42 +0200
Jan-Hendrik Zab <xaero at gmx.de> wrote:

> My problem is that there are no buttons, icons and also no text in the
> titlebar of the windows. Until now I tried a few different skins and
> versions, but with no success at all.
> At the moment the CVS Head is installed, cause it was, except this one
> problem, running fine and I saw no reason to change it. (Ok, I admit,
> also because I'm a little junky when it comes to new versions.) I also
> tried 3.3_rc2-r2 and 20060509, both installed with portage under Gentoo
> Linux.

Seems like a configuration problem. Run obconf, go to "Appearance", "Window Titles", "Button order". In that textbox there should be something like this:

NLIMC

You can rearrange just moving the letter. They mean:
N -> Application icon
L -> Application label
I -> Iconify
M -> Maximize
C -> Close
D -> Sticky
S -> Shade

Also, if you don't have obconf, have a look at ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml
There should be something like the text above, somewhere in that file.
<theme>
  <name>Clearlooks2-Simple</name>
  <titlelayout>NLIMC</titlelayout>
  <keepBorder>no</keepBorder>