[openbox] Openbox through gnome-session

David Barr david at chalkskeletons.com
Wed Mar 1 16:05:58 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 14:45 -0800, Eric Gillingham wrote:
> I'm using openbox instead of metacity in a gnome desktop,

excellent!

> and I was
> wondering where openbox get it's font sizes from. It seems that with
> gnome-settings-daemon behaving oddly for me, that the size of the fonts
> openbox uses to draw the titles of windows is varying. Is this a known
> issue or is there a way I can prevent it from happening?

i think the issues come from that gnome-session sets its own dpi, and it
is a race issue so if openbox loads too quickly then it gets in before
gnome-settings sets it. you can set the dpi of X to teh same as gnome
probably or the other way round i think X is 100

what was i saying? yeah so maybe put a bit of sleep in before you exec
openbox, so it loads the right settings.

anyway that is what is going on and why openbox fonts are sometimes too
big, too darn quick!

i thought it might be nice to set openbox fonts optionally from gnome,
but i think i would be alone in that...

window.active.label.text.font:shadow=y:shadowoffset=1:shadowtint=40:GNOME

i know lame.

David