[openbox] Best way to programmatically toggle decorations?

Mikael Magnusson mangosoft at comhem.se
Fri Jun 9 03:56:31 EDT 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Gary Scharf wrote:

> What's the best/simplest approach to programmatically setting the
> decorated/undecorated state of a window?

Is this in a program you are writing yourself?

> I've considered 3 methods:
>
> -wmctrl: I'd hoped that setting properties would be noticed and acted
> upon by openbox, but I've either not found the property, or this
> approach isn't going to work

If not, you can use devilspie

> -Key stuffing: Another method might be to map a keystroke to the
> toggledecorations action, but I'm not sure by what method I might do
> that. It'd also be nicer to be able to explicitly set the desired state,
> though I guess I could query for it via xprop.
>
> -Hacking the openbox source to expose the functionality.

Or since yesterday, you can use the per app settings functionality in cvs,
<applications>
   <application name="epiphany">
     <position>
       <x>68</x>
       <y>0</y>
     </position>
   </application>
   <application name="urxvt">
     <decor>false</decor>
   </application>
</applications>

(the syntax may or may not change before 3.3)

> -Something else I'd not thought of?
>
> Thanks in advance.

-- Mikael Magnusson