[openbox] icons in menu

dams dams at dams-interactive.com
Fri Feb 24 08:02:39 EST 2006

J. Shinall a écrit :

>Mikael Magnusson wrote:

>>>Ok. What you think about add support icons in menu in any other format?
>>>

>>That's sort of the issue, i don't know which format we'd want to
>>support. We can't go around supporting all formats but if we add one,
>>people will want more anyway...
>>
>>--
>>Mikael Magnusson
>>

>I agree with Mikael. Please don't ever confuse light-weight with ugly. I
>believe OB3 has done a nice job of balancing aesthetics with resource load.
>
>Mikael has already mentioned why adding menu icon support would be a bad
>idea:
>1) Adding one or more graphics libraries as a dependency. Perhaps those
>that want this feature could write it as a plug-in of sorts, like
>ObConf. ObConf has two or three dependencies, but doesn't transfer those
>requirements to OB3 itself. If menu icons were to be implemented, I
>would vote for this approach.
>
>2) The load on the CPU would certainly increase if icons were added to
>the menus. Correct me if I'm wrong, but OB was created to be a
>light-weight WM that allows you to be efficiently productive. Simply
>adding support for the formats would not be enough. The entire menuing
>routines would need to be modified and tweaked so that it doesn't take
>forever to render the icons every single time a menu is displayed.
>Otherwise, users would see this and start thinking OB is slow, which is
>far from the truth. This would probably mean adding even more
>dependencies. If we start doing that, say good-bye to 'light-weight'.
>
>Don't misunderstand my position. I like OB3, but I'm not an apologetic
>zealot. I think that there are ways to improve OB3. I just don't see how
>this would be worth it. I just don't see how eye candy fits into
>Mikael's original philosophy of what a WM should do. If such things are
>important to you, perhaps another WM or a DE would better suit your needs.

I agree. I think it's really not important, and maybe in fact, it can be
not better at all. Some applications icons are really not nice. And,
well, with a good ob theme, the menu can be nice enougth without icons.
Like, for exemple (just an simply exemple) :
http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gkrellshoot0210062223399zj.jpg