[openbox] OB not rendering all items in a menu when moused over fast

David Barr david at chalkskeletons.com
Fri Feb 17 05:08:18 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 19:25 -0800, Adam Gent wrote:
> Take one moment and open up a gtk menu, qt menu, fluxbox menu, blackbox
> menu or even a windows 2000/xp menu. Now move your mouse quickley up
> and down the menu. What you will see is that all items in the menu get
> highlighted/raised when the mouse is over it even when you move the
> mouse very fast.

this is true!

> Now my friends do this with openbox 3 and you will notice that once you
> move the mouse fast enough the menu gets stuck on an item and does not
> highlight items under the mouse until you slow down. I swear I don't
> know why no one has complained about this before...

i think why, is that it is a fruitless task to move your mouse so fast,
i, for one have never really tried it, but i see now what you mean.

> I feel like I am
> taking crazy pills (Zoolander). Its as though the openbox is
> dropping/ignoring the mouse Xevents because the rendering engine can't
> keep up.

fair point, you are probably not crazy, congratulations.

> This menu behavior makes it feel like the openbox 3 is slow when we all
> know its not.

the menus in openbox are a bit hacky, it is not a secret :)

i doubt i have the ability to fix them, but if anyone is looking for a
mini project, mikael is a busy bunny...

> -Adam

cheers

David