[openbox] Dual head + 1 monitor

Troy Curtis Jr troycurtisjr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 22:34:23 EDT 2006

On 8/18/06, David Courtney <blixel at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you're not a multiple monitor person, you can ignore this thread.
>
> For the past 2+ years, I've been enjoying OpenBox's wonderful handling
> of dual-head display.  My primary video card is (currently) as
> follows:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce
> 6600/GeForce 6600 GT] (rev a2)
>
> It has dual DVI output which drive two of my Hitachi CML174SX LCD displays.
>
> With my xorg.conf file configured for TwinView (using the proprietary
> nvidia drivers) I've had flawless dual head video display.
>
> If I maximize a window on the left monitor, it expands to fill only
> the left monitor.  If I drag a window to the edge of the right
> monitor, it knows to "resist" at the edge of the left/right monitor.
> (Not so be a suck up, but OpenBox handles dual displays better than
> any other WM I've used.  And I've tried *many* other WM's.)
>
> So.  No problem so far....
>
> Today I added a PCI video card to my machine, as follows:
>
> 00:13.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
> 5200] (rev a1)
>
> I intended it to drive my 3rd Hitachi CML174SX LCD display.
>
> I updated my xorg.conf as follows (relevant sections only):
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier     "Default Layout"
>     Screen         0 "Default Screen"
>     Screen         1 "Left Wing" LeftOf "Default Screen"
>     InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
>     InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier     "CML174SX"
>     HorizSync       24.0 - 80.0
>     VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
>     Option         "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "Generic Video Card"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
>     BusID          "01:00:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "NVidia GeForce 5200FX"
>         Driver          "nvidia"
>         BusID           "00:19:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier     "Default Screen"
>     Device         "Generic Video Card"
>     Monitor        "CML174SX"
>     DefaultDepth    24
>     Option         "NoLogo" "1"
>     Option         "TwinView"
>     Option         "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
>     Option         "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1280x1024"
>     SubSection     "Display"
>         Depth       24
>         Modes      "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Left Wing"
>         Device          "NVidia GeForce 5200FX"
>         Monitor         "CML174SX"
>         DefaultDepth    24
>         Option          "NoLogo" "1"
>         SubSection      "Display"
>                 Depth   24
> [...]

A very interesting problem and I probably won't be much help as I have
only two screens :-).  Look through your xorg.conf file, the only
thing I could see that differs from my understanding of twinview usage
is that your "Modes" option in the "Display" subsection are listed as
the size of one of the monitors.  I run at 1024x768,1024x768 and put
2048x768 in the "Modes" section.  Of course you ARE getting both
screens to show up so I doubt changing this would fix anything.

Also perhaps you should use a seperate "Monitor" defintion?   I don't
know, but it'd be something to try.

Be sure to update us if you get it figured out!

Troy
--
"Beware of spyware. If you can, use the Firefox browser." - USA Today
Download now at http://getfirefox.com