[openbox] all desktops

John Russell jjrussell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 14:00:27 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:47:12 -0500, David Courtney <blixel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to convince the gaim developers to put an option in gaim to
> > have the chat windows appear on all desktops.  Does anyone know the
> > _NET_WM hint that would need to be set to have a window manager do
> > this for an application?  Thanks.
>
> Is there an advantage to having that option built in to the IM program
> vs. using the pin to Desktop option that's built in to the OB Window
> Manager?

Its actually the same thing.  Gaim would just set the _NET_WM_DESKTOP
hint and OB or any other standards compliant wm would put the chat
window on all desktops.  This is so that I don't have to pin each chat
window every time it comes up.  I was using devilspie for this, but it
a) is kinda cludgey with the window class matching stuff
b) doesn't compile anymore with the new libwnck
c) makes more sense to me to have an applicaiton tell the WM what it wants.
Its like having the app explicitly say how big a window it wants for
something.  It should be up to the app to let everyone know how it
wants to behave.

John