[openbox] OB very slow to open over GNOME

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Wed Jun 15 17:01:37 EDT 2005

LostSon schreef:

> Benedict Brown wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, LostSon wrote:
>>

>>>I too have messed with gnome 2.10 using openbox as the wm and switching
>>>between having nautilus draw
>>>the desktop and not drawing the desktop. Loading times are pathetically
>>>slow and for some off reason the panel
>>>loads even slower and there is always an initial delay in the panel
>>>actually working. For instance if i click on
>>>the applications or locations menu in the panel it takes 5-10 seconds
>>>before it actually comes up.
>>>As far as the splash screen i just turn it off no reason to have it on.
>>>After messing with for a week or two i
>>>jsut went back to using openbox only, by far IMO the best way for me.
>>>Gnome is just too picky and i really
>>>dont need all the goofy stuff it comes with. Sorry i couldnt be of more
>>>help, just wanted to weigh in with
>>>my expereince with this.
>>

>>My turn.  I've been using openbox with gnome for quite a long time, and
>>I upgraded one of my systems to 2.10 a few days ago.  I have indeed had
>>lots of problems with gnome's splash screen, but that's turned off.  And
>>I don't use nautilus (use gconf-editor to get it not to draw the
>>desktop). Without nautilus, gnome loads quite quickly.
>>
>>Benedict
>>

> Just out of curiousity why are we trying to use Gnome with openbox as
> the WM and then turning off Nautilus
> as well. ??

Because if we don't turn off Nautilus, the desktop doesn't receive
click-throughs and you don't get the OB menu (unless you have a
keybinding for it, and like using the keyboard, which I don't, much)

I don't see a lot of point in running OB if you don't have the menu
available (heaven knows metacity is "prettier" as a WM, and I put a lot
of work into menu.xml).... even though the GNOME menu is of course
there, if I wanted to use that I would not be running OB over GNOME, but
just GNOME.

Maybe I'll just go back to running OB with the gnome-panel, instead....
now that I have an appropriate session, I could run that in the OB
startup script as well. Maybe that would be enough of a GNOME backend to
make the various applets and what-not happy.

It's interesting; KDE programs open up a bunch of KDE backend if you run
them without KDE (I use Krusader and Kwikdisk), so they're a bit slow to
start, but they don't give you any grief after that. But try opening
Totem without GNOME, then login to GNOME and try it again. Maybe it's
just me, but there was a *huge* difference (3 minutes as opposed to
'almost instantly'). That's really what I'm looking for a solution to;
it's not like I really have some desperate need to run GNOME
specifically. Just a lot of GNOME programs (I really would like to get
rid of KDE so I've been on a big replacement jag).

Holly

Holly