[openbox] OB very slow to open over GNOME

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Wed Jun 15 04:46:34 EDT 2005

Around about 14/06/05 17:51, Holly Bostick typed ...
> After some effort, I was able to create a custom GNOME 2.10 session that
> replaces Metacity with OB (and doesn't start Nautilus so that desktop
> clickthroughs display the OB menu). I even gave it its own GDM *.desktop
> file, so I can log into "regular" GNOME if I break something and need to
> fix it.

   I had some grief similar to this (with the latest 'beta') but not
quite the same.  I was test-driving loads of config. changes that borked
the menu & involved continued 'openbox --replace' calls.  These spawned
an exponential (in one case ~30 restarts -> >3000 instances) no. of
'openbox' entries in the session file.

   I can only suggest what I did:  once it's up once, log-out, then in a
fail-safe or terminal login, edit the ~/.gnome2/session file to remove
redundant entries and the '--replace' option.

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature