[openbox] Run dialog

GI gautam at math.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 13 20:29:55 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 12:19:29AM -0000, Md Mooktakim Ahmed wrote:

> i use terminals all the time, but sometimes i just want to run
> something that doesn't output all the messages in the terminal.
> Becuase i usually have 2 terminals open automaticly. sometimes i want
> to run something like gaim, and i dont want to be bothered about some
> locale error, that wasnt found (i dont know if its true, its an
> example).

Well how about:

    bash$ gaim --options 2>/dev/null &

or even

    bash$ gaim --etc > /dev/null 2>&1 &

or write a wrapper script that executes your program (given as an
arguement), and either kills the output, or sends it to some running
xconsole, or tty12 or some other device?

I agree that a run dialogue will probably be small and light (and not
have too many dependencies). But I somehow seem content with using the
terminal ... :)

Incidentally, you can also do the following:

    1. Fireup your favourite terminal (xterm, or some fancy equivalent
       with transperency etc).

    2. Make it about 20x1 in size, and undecorated, and put it in your
       favourite corner of your desktop (or minimize it if you like).

There you go. A full featured run - dialogue with 0 code and 0 extra
dependencies. You can further play with devilspie / wmctrl to have your
"run dialogue" in your favourite position / state on launch :)

GI

--
Eighteen Reasons Why Climbing is Better than Sex:
8. You don't have to go to a sleazy shop in a seedy neighborhood to buy