window focus/raise behavior on NextWindow and PreviousWindow

Steve Kim chairmank at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 14:03:32 EDT 2005

I recently switched to Openbox 3.2 after using Blackbox for the past
year. I notice one major difference in default behavior: When I cycle
through windows via NextWindow/PreviousWindow (default keybinding
Alt-Tab, Alt-Shift-Tab), Openbox does not transfer true focus to each
window in turn, but instead provides a thick black outline
"pseudo-focus"; only when I let go of the "Alt" key does the focus
actually switch to the window for real (curious: why is it
client_activate rather than client_focus here?). I would like the
option to client_focus (and optionally client_raise) each switched-to
window upon every "Tab", as can be configured in Blackbox. Is this
option in the pipeline, or is there a good reason to not support it
(e.g. standards compliance, pathological cases I haven't considered)?

--
http://www.purl.org/net/chairmanK