[openbox] n00b questions

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Thu Apr 21 03:44:51 EDT 2005

Around about 20/04/05 15:52, Mikael Magnusson typed ...
>> However, if I move that def. to "Frame", and click over a window
>> ... it /does/ work.  Seems to be just the Desktop it has an issue
>> with.
> Are you running a desktop program such as idesk, nautilus or rox etc?

Yes, this is all under GNOME (+ nautilus).  But like I said, I've been
able to bind button 8 before.  It's not a big issue:  that button's
awkward to reach, so I'm unlikely to really want to use it.  I'm just a
completist :)

   [hmph - seems like 'completist' isn't a real word.  oh well]

>> Am I being dense here:  are all these wonderful options actually
>> listed anywhere other than the code?
> Probably not, I'm a bit lazy :) I will try and get them documented
> before 3.3 though.

   :)

>> I'll stop asking stupid questions, now :-)

   No I won't ;)
> 4. When I lower, raise or move windows with a keybinding, focus
> doesn't follow the mouse!
> This is a feature, how large is the chance that the mouse
> accidentally enters a window you want to focus when you move or
> lower/raise something?

   I'm not arguing the point (although the reason I think it causes /me/
slight problems is that with a focus-follows-mouse mentality, it's
always assumed that wherever the mouse is, that's where the focus is.  I
keep falling foul of that [i.e., don't think to check the window title
colour]).

   What I've done for me is patch wmctrl to accept :POINTER: as a window
designator, and I've added 'wmctrl -a :POINTER:' as a second action to
those events that cause me grief (closure, desktop movement, etc.).

   Which leads me to:  it seems to not be possible to /focus/ a window
without /raising/ it (_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW).  Is that a deliberate design
feature?  It's arguably the rational thing to do upon remote requests.
Again, not a major issue, but it would be nice to be able to change
focus /without/ raising;  I don't see a clean way of doing it within the
OB config. itself, though, as it's not till after the action's complete
that you can then try to refocus.

   Guess I could do something nasty in a small app. like move the
pointer to 0,0 briefly then back to where it was, thereby triggering a
'natural' refocus within OB ...

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature