[openbox] [OT] utility to group together (NOT tab) multiple windows ?

Miguel Bazdresch ob-01 at thewizardstower.org
Thu Sep 30 16:21:31 EDT 2004

* LOCSEI, Gabor <albero at enternet.hu> [2004-09-30 20:15]:
> Eredeti uzenet/Original message: (Marco Molteni, Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 09:23:15PM +0200)
> > [Sorry for the OT, hope somebody may help]
> >
> > I would like to "group" together multiple windows, in a sort
> > of "container" window. I am _not_ looking for tabbing or xembed,
> > I want all the windows to be visible at the same time:
>
> Weird idea, indeed. I would try the following - in theory, actually I
> don't know much about the details, but maybe it can be a starting
> point:

Probably weird but I think it'd be very useful. I've thought about
similar things myself.

> You should log in to your own X server from an xterm window, probably
> with ssh, then run  the desired apps in this new 'window manager' if it
> is even possible.

What you're saying sounds like Xnest. It's basically a window with its
own wm running inside. You can move all windows inside it by just moving
the Xnest window.

I played with it for a bit once and found it less than useful because
you can't easily pass key commands to the apps running inside Xnest; the
"root" wm grabs them.

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/