[openbox] Regarding Openbox (fwd)

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Tue Sep 21 07:10:38 EDT 2004

Skip Coon wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I start up using startx and put all of my "autostart" apps in this
> file: ~/.xinitrc
>
> scoon

I used a similar strategy when I used GDM with a variation:

I wrote a bash script such as the following:

#!/bin/bash
export LANG="en_US"
#famd &
/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
devilspie &
numlockx &
feh --bg-scale /usr/share/backgrounds/flower.png &
#LinNeighborhood -m &
(sleep 15 && DISPLAY=:1.0 gnome-panel) &
multi-gnome-terminal --use-factory --start-factory-server &
#gnome-terminal &
(sleep 20 && thunderbird-bin) &
(sleep 25 && firefox) &
#(sleep 40 && liferea) &
#(sleep 40 && gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=boinc) &
exec openbox

named it 'openboxstart.sh', made it executable, then edited the session
file in /etc/X11/Sessions to point to the script (instead of
/usr/bin/openbox).

Holly