[openbox] OB: composite?

Nagy Mate k-zed at hactar.net
Sat Sep 18 08:02:14 EDT 2004

greetings,
On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 01:36:34PM +0200, Peter Chiocchetti wrote:
> I do care about shadowing, transparency etc. and by the time,
> debian ships an xserver with composite extension, I was happy
> if the ob3-xcomp combo worked as flawless as ob3 now - that
> day may see a long due change in wm-theme! (running a
> customized greenz now)
 this idea might have roots in my total ignorance of the inner workings
and arcana of the composite {extension,manager}, but what would it take
to make it possible to individually enable or disable shadows for
specific windows?
 i've been a blackbox and friends user (bb, ob2, ob3) for a long while,
and as such my approach to desktop configuration is a very minimalistic
one. i'm not the guy who loves icons and random fluff over the two
monitors.. having shadows under the decorationless xterms
(stacked right next to each other by the oh-so-useful movetoedge action)
would hurt usability immensely; however, a slight shade under a single
browser window might set it off on that austere #c0c0c0 background. (or
for that matter, there might be just one thing that transparency can
be useful for: the gaim away popup (so the buddy list would appear under
it)... but you can already set different alpha levels for different
targets.)
 devilspie will obviously come into the picture somewhere, but i'm just
asking about the theoretics for now.

regards,
 kz
--