[openbox] OB: composite?

David Barr dpb at clara.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 18:31:52 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 16:57 -0400, David Courtney wrote:

> I don't have time to deal with this negativity... the openbox

> > community is pretty crappy, as far as I'm concerned...

Firsty, mailing lists are an odd thing, you would not walk into
somebody's house and start touching their stuff, telling them how to
arrange their furniture, turning over their tv and helping yourself to
their food, while telling them their food is crappy, but people do seem
to steam onto mailing lists acting pretty much this way, here is no
difference, no-one likes that sort of thing.

I hate to say it, but I kind of agree with this guy.  I won't be

> unsubscribing (yet), but it seems as though there is some kind of

> haughty, elitist attitude with everyone.  I've never really understood

> that attitude, especially with computer related stuff.  In this case,

> it's just a Window Manager, not the cure for cancer.

Sure its just a windowmanager - the 'openbox community' (whatever that
is) hardly has a 'friendly' reputation, which i think is undeserved, but
so what, use openbox don't talk to the people who develop it, everyone
is a winner. I don't think it is to shocking that people do not like
stupid questions and obtuse 'feature requests'.

The *box thing is always touchy, especially when people are making
claims about what is a derivative and what is not, it's pretty insulting
saying that people's hard work is just a fork (especially when the basis
of the argument is smilar name, similar looks and general ignorance) and
claiming to know what they are talking about, it's taking credit away
from the people who have contributed and developed openbox3 from
scratch.

I don't think it is unfair of mikael or anyone else to get miffed at
these people, do you? it's a matter of respecting other people, and
their opinions and the way they do things. you can't just storm in
'places' acting like a jerk and expect to be loved, am i wrong?

Anyway top posting is annoying, most mailing list don't like it, it's
fairly common knowledge, if you don't tell people how will they ever
learn :)

reading the archives might help keep the wolves from the door, it's a
courtesy not a chore. (hey that rhymes)

/david