[openbox] Big windows, panning

Maarten Boekhold boekhold at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 01:39:55 EDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:56:41 -0500, Corey Wright <undefined at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:31:35 +0400
> Maarten Boekhold <boekhold at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If I use exceed from a windows box, I can 'pan' the screen by
> > selecting the window and moving the mouse pointer to the bottom of the
> > window/screen.  This causes the entire 'view port' to be moved down.
>
> you must be using exceed in full-screen mode (or whatever exceed calls
> it; can't remember).  i run exceed in windowed mode where each xwindows

No, I'm running it in the same mode as you, I' just couldn't come up
with the right terminology, which is why I referred to a 'view
port'....

> > Openbox (compiled on cygwin btw.) doesn't allow this AFAIK. Does
> > anybody know of a way to allow me to see the bottom part of such a
> > window?
>
> i presume you are running this on windows because of the cygwin
> reference.  what x server are you running?  exceed?  xfree86 (or has it
> followed the linux distributions to x.org or whatever)?

X.org... (it's actually better than Exceed IMO. Exceed 7 has some font
setup screwed).

> if you are using xfree86 you should be able to press & hold alt, click &
> hold anywhere on the application's window, and move the window by moving
> the mouse.  you don't have to click on an application's title bar to

Hmm, I'll try that... Yes this works. Wasn't aware of that. So,
problem solved. I do prefer  the exceed way of working, but this will
do for now. Thanks.

Maarten