[openbox] Images in the menu

Mikael Magnusson mangosoft at comhem.se
Sun Oct 31 14:49:32 EST 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Tero Grundström wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
>
>> There is a bit of a difference between a bug report and a feature though.
>> At first all i did in #openbox was report bugs, which is an appreciated
>> thing, but i also made a few feature requests every now and then, to which
>> they would mostly say 'patch pls'. Eventually i opened up the source and
>> looked at it.
>
> There is nothing wrong in asking a patch from a person who could actually
> do it. But totally ignoring requests from other people is just wrong,
> especially if it's done with an attitude like: No patch? Well shut the
> f*** up then!

Note that we have never said something like that or had such an attitude.
I'm just saying if you email madonna asking her to cover My Way she will
probably not even give you a reply.

>>> You see we are *all* important for Linux and other software as a whole.
>>
>> But developers are more important ;)
>
> This is kinda like a popstar claiming that he/she doesn't care or need
> fans ;) (an ex-popstar in this case ;)
>
> IMO, once a software project has a fancy web site, mailing list and the
> program is given (or "sold") for all to use the developer is kinda like
> that popstar who should care about his fans (to a point of course).
>
> But if you make your music (software) in the cellar for your own enjoyment
> only, it's ok...

We _are_ only making Openbox for our own enjoyment and we also share what
we have made with anyone who wants it. Demanding that we do additional
things for you when you contribute nothing is pushing it a little I think.

>>> BTW, <if I would send Magnusson a patch for a improvement I like, I'm
>>> pretty sure he would not add it to openbox mainline. Openbox seems to be
>>> considered "perfect", hence no new releases in a long time. So what would
>>> be the point of sending patches?
>>
>> That's some pretty funky logic, if i tell you to send patches, it's hardly
>> because i won't accept them. The reason there isn't a release is there
>> aren't really that many changes in cvs right now from 3.2, which would
>> change if more people sent patches and/or i had a bit more free time.
>
> Could the reason for the lack of pathes be that Openbox is not as popular
> as Fluxbox for example. One would think that if ob were more popular
> there would also be more people who would write patches (there are
> currently 21 open (61 total) patches for fluxbox at SourceForge).

Fluxbox may be popular, but it is the buggiest piece of crap i've seen,
and most of its fans are <censored words here>.

> Now, how could we make Openbox more popular?

Why?

--
Mikael Magnusson