[openbox] Images in the menu

Edward Miles Stapleton cerement at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 14:44:40 EDT 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:33:34 +0200, Mark Gjøl <cyrax at b0rken.dk> wrote:
> GI wrote:
> > I was however wondering about the following: Someone mentioned that
> > IceWM takes less memory than OpenBox. If true, that's really strange.
> > OpenBox is pretty minimal, and it's hard to imagine anything this
> > *usable* bieng smaller!
>
> My test (though probably naïve) was made on my university computers with
> top. Here's the output:
>
> Openbox:
> PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE    TIME    CPU COMMAND
> 5130 s011269    1  59    0   10M 9064K sleep    1:31  0.00% openbox
>
> IceWM:
> PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE    TIME    CPU COMMAND
> 122 s021781    1  59    0 4664K 4024K sleep    0:06  0.00% icewm
>
> It should be noted, though, that on my home computer openbox is about
> 5MB, not 9...

1) Was flipping through WMs about a month ago, doing nothing but
comparing initial memory footprint just after startup and the base
binary filesize ...

*on my machine*, WMs ordered by memory footprint, smallest to largest:
pekwm (4K/2K/4K), blackbox, fluxbox, fvwm, openbox (8K/4K/7K), e16,
metacity (1M/7K/13M)

*on my machine*, WMs ordered by base binary filesize:
openbox (191K), pekwm, metacity, blackbox, e16, fvwm, fluxbox (1.2M)

2) PLEASE! No pixmap themes for Openbox ever, PLEASE?

3) Running contrary to the main request of this thread, how hard would
it be to just completely comment out the icon code in the Desktop menu
so that it renders a nice clean text only list? -- ie. no icons so it
actually looks like it fits in aesthetically with the rest of the
menus

--
``But, Doctor ... I am Pagliacci.''
    --Rorschach