[openbox] Images in the menu

David Barr dpb at clara.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 14:40:14 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 17:15 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:

> OK, now I am not a programmer, and I don't know anything about this, so
> that may be the source of my confusion.
>
> However.
>
> I *have* icons. I have Gnome installed, I have kdelibs installed, the
> applications I use install icons for themselves.
>
> So why would there be additional dependencies needed to enable Openbox
> menus to use the icons I already have? The idea being that if I already
> have the icons, and can use them in other WMs (and, as you say, in OB
> windows), don't I already have whatever dependencies would be needed to
> make them viewable in OB menus (if OB was able to recognize an icon=
> setting in the menu.xml)?
>
> I'm not trying to be a bitch, I'm just asking, otherwise I'll never
> learn ;-) .
>

> Holly

While i think that icons add a certain usability aspect to the
windowlist, i don't really see how they add a significant usability
advantage to the root menu. The root menu stays static, so everything is
always in teh same place whereas the window list menu is constantly
changing so the addition of icons helps locate what you are after imho.

i use gnome i find that turning teh icons off in menus does offer a
significant speed increase, i could have somtimes navigated and launched
the item in teh time it takes to laod the icons, i think that although
it does offer assistance in finding the item you want; the trade off is
too great.

um so well that is my opinion on icons in the menus, also they look teh
suck in all the windowmanagers i have seen try it, even enlightenment
(actually they look ok in e17) Really the icons in teh title (of all
wms) aren't so hot looking, they just aren;t meant to be scaled down so
much?

david