[openbox] wmctrl does not make windows sticky

GI gautam at math.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 28 13:26:02 EDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 06:54:01PM +0200, Mikael Magnusson wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, GI wrote:
>
> >1. Requests to make windows sticky are ignored.
>
> This is because Openbox doesn't support sticky windows, or rather, doesn't
> support the thing that makes sticky windows meaningful...
>
> >2. Requests to change the geometry of the desktop are ignored (hoever
> >  requests to change the NUMBER of desktops are honored).
>
> Which is virtual desktops, ie having a desktop larger than your screen
> (this is different to changing the resolution in X and getting a
> virtual desktop that way) and moving around on it. The geometry of the
> desktop is the size of such a virtual desktop, but in Openbox, it is
> always == your resolution. A sticky window is a window that stays in
> the same place on your physical screen when you scroll around.

Aha. This explains thigs! Thanks.

> There is a patch to Openbox around that sets number of rows at
> startup, however there are some problems with it.

So is there a chance that this will be a feature in the near future?
If not, would you have any suggestions on how to put my desktops in a
grid? I tried running kpager, but it refused to put my desktops in a
grid.

> >PS: Don't flame me. I'm a n00b.
>
> Tried my best not to :)

Thanks again :)

GI

--
POLITICS THROUGH COWS -- A FASCIST:
You have two cows. The government seizes both and sells you the milk.