[openbox] wmctrl does not make windows sticky

Mikael Magnusson mangosoft at comhem.se
Thu Oct 28 12:54:01 EDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, GI wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I recently dug up an old thread about launching undecorated apps.
> Someone posted a patch for wmctrl which I succesfully installed. However
> I find (patch or no patch) that the following don't work
>
> 1. Requests to make windows sticky are ignored.

This is because Openbox doesn't support sticky windows, or rather, doesn't
support the thing that makes sticky windows meaningful...

> 2. Requests to change the geometry of the desktop are ignored (hoever
>   requests to change the NUMBER of desktops are honored).

Which is virtual desktops, ie having a desktop larger than your screen
(this is different to changing the resolution in X and getting a virtual
desktop that way) and moving around on it. The geometry of the desktop is
the size of such a virtual desktop, but in Openbox, it is always == your
resolution. A sticky window is a window that stays in the same place on
your physical screen when you scroll around.

> I haven't coded for X / etc before, so I had trouble with the source.
> wmctrl seems to be sending the signal '_NET_WM_STATE_STICKY' to the
> correct window, and the openbox code seems to create the above Xatom.
> So I'm not sure why it doesn't work.

See above.

> The reason I *really* want to change the desktop geometry is because I
> *DONT* want to run a pager. However it would be nice to have a 3x3 grid
> of desktops. The openbox FAQ says it's the pager's responsibility to
> determine the desktop geometry and communicate with OB. Since I don't
> want a pager, I was looking for alternate ways.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

There is a patch to Openbox around that sets number of rows at startup,
however there are some problems with it.

> GI
>
> PS: Don't flame me. I'm a n00b.

Tried my best not to :)

--