wmctrl does not make windows sticky

GI gautam at math.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 28 12:46:31 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I recently dug up an old thread about launching undecorated apps.
Someone posted a patch for wmctrl which I succesfully installed. However
I find (patch or no patch) that the following don't work

1. Requests to make windows sticky are ignored.

2. Requests to change the geometry of the desktop are ignored (hoever
   requests to change the NUMBER of desktops are honored).

I haven't coded for X / etc before, so I had trouble with the source.
wmctrl seems to be sending the signal '_NET_WM_STATE_STICKY' to the
correct window, and the openbox code seems to create the above Xatom.
So I'm not sure why it doesn't work.

The reason I *really* want to change the desktop geometry is because I
*DONT* want to run a pager. However it would be nice to have a 3x3 grid
of desktops. The openbox FAQ says it's the pager's responsibility to
determine the desktop geometry and communicate with OB. Since I don't
want a pager, I was looking for alternate ways.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

GI

PS: Don't flame me. I'm a n00b.

--
'Honest politician' -- One who, when bought, stays bought.