[openbox] Menu behaviour

dircha dircha at dircha.com
Sat May 22 19:25:41 EDT 2004

tim hall wrote:
>> The default Debian menus have this problem with a
>> vengeance if you have any number of packages installed (I know I could
>> redo them so it didn't happen but that would be both an initial and a
>> maintenance pain). It really is very difficult to navigate---depending
>> on where an item is in the menu I may just open an xterm and run it
>> 'by hand' rather than try to get to it in the menus... Out of
>> curiosity, why was this behavior adopted? I assume it was deliberate and
>> with good reason since it's a variation from what seems to be the 'norm'
>> in most blackbox-like window managers...
>
> I'm glad to know it's not just me then :) Perhaps it's worth a well
> worded FR and hope that someone finds it an interesting problem one day.

As an avid Debian user, I'll comment, even so, I believe the problem is
first with Debian's menu system, and second with comprehensive menu
systems in general.

What you need is to make a short listing of the applications you
actually use more than once in a blue moon, and include those menu
entries on your top level openbox menu.

I use, regularly, 4 GUI applications, and two of those are Xterm and
Openbox. I just removed the Debian menu system altogether.

I think that if your usage is in any way efficient, your list of
regularly used GUI applications must have by now become quite stable.
Take that list and put it in your top-level menu as entries.

We install applications from a terminal emulator, so we may as launch
them from there for a test run to see whether they are worth keeping.
When on the rare occasion you want to add to or change your relatively
stable list of used applications, it takes all of 20 seconds to modify
your user openbox menu config.

dircha