Question about the dock and windows placement

Miguel Bazdresch ob-01 at thewizardstower.org
Thu May 6 17:29:21 EDT 2004

I want to do what might be an uncommon thing: I want one of my desktops
to have a real fullscreen xterm, meaning covering the dock.

I set the dock stacking order to "bottom" which works great because apps
don't cover it when started/maximized, but I can move windows over it
manually and have them cover it.

Now of course I don't want to have to move my extra-large xterm by hand
every time I start it. So I started experimenting with the -geometry
stuff, and that's where I hit trouble.

If I start an xterm with -geometry+0+0, it will start right besides the
dock. man X says +X+Y refer to screen edges, which I thought should be
the physical edges of the screen.

No problem, thought I, those values can be negative. I'll just set them
to -65 (the width of my dock). Well, no luck, the xterm still starts at
the edge of the dock!

Interestingly, things work if I use -XOFF. Specifying a very wide xterm
with -0-0, it extends all the way to the left of the right edge and
covers the dock.

Even though I can work around my problem using -XOFF, I wanted to bring
this forward since I believe openbox's behavior is not entirely correct
or consistent in this case.

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/