Experiencing "hangs"... Is this openbox?

Mark Gjøl cyrax at b0rken.dk
Tue Mar 23 12:11:57 EST 2004

Hi, I'm having some weird episodes where X hangs - let me begin with a
little (relevant) description of my system:

I use the Debian openbox 3.1 package and am running on two monitors with
Xinerama enabled. One monitor uses an NVIDIA-based gfx-card (the version
is irrelevant, the problem persisted even though I upgraded the card),
and the other a Matrox Millenium II.

Anyway, when the system hangs I loose all control, but am still able to
move the mouse. The first sign that this isn't a crash is that I am able
to move the curser between screens (when X crashes the curser is
restricted to whichever monitor it crashed on). Another sign is that I
still recieve input from the programs running (eg. IRC). I can type all
I want, but nothing happens... Until a seemingly random period of time
has elapsed, after which everything I've tried to do is actually being
done. Sometimes I recieve focus again if I kill the active program from
a remote machine.

I have no idea whether this is an Openbox problem, an XFree problem or
a driver problem, but I know it's bugging the crap out of me.

--
// Mark Gjøl
I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously.