[openbox] PATCH: 1134 better xinerama support

John Russell drjimmy42 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 22 07:06:51 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 01:56, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 01:44:12AM -0500, Kacper Wysocki wrote:
> > On 03/22/04 01:27:38, Kacper Wysocki wrote:
> > >John,
> > >there is a small problem with your xinerama patch: it does not allow
> > >windows to be dragged from one screen to the next, as that would
> > >cross the screen boundry.
> >
> > I might have been too hasty there - it only does this for few programs,
> > most notably beep media player and xmms.
>
> Using v3 of the xinerama patch, I don't see this behavior with xmms.

Yeah, this is why I released v3.  I was trying to catch more cases of
windows trying to actually place themselves on the monitor divide, but
there are some apps (e.g. xmms) which do some really whacky $H!+.  Maybe
someone who knows more about X stuff can tell you how strange it is but
its definitely non-standard.

Either way, I removed some of the cases that were causing the problem
for v3, but that means that there are certain apps that actually request
to be moved to the center of the screen even after they are placed will
still be placed on the monitor divide.  I'm not sure there's anything to
be done about stupid clients.  I've only seen one do this and it was a
java app, so it probably won't be that often.

Thanks for the feedback.

John