[openbox] DockApps at Startup

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Fri Jun 25 06:07:23 EDT 2004

David Templer wrote:

> Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> Jess Mahan wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, don't all jump on me at once, but hear me out.
>>>
>>> If i just use startx I can get my dockapps to start by sticking
>>> them in my ~/.xinitrc, however I cannot figure out how to get
>>> my dockapps to start up when using GDM when I log in.
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> I'm using GDM, and here's how I do it:
>>
>> 1. Open your favorite text editor as root. Use it to open one of the
>> *.desktop files in /etc/X11/dm/Sessions/.
>>
>> 2. Edit the chosen desktop file to reflect Openbox. Meaning, change
>> the "name" and "description" fields and change the "Application"
>> field to the name of a script that we will shortly create (mine is
>> called "openboxstart.sh").
>>
>> 3. Save the edited *.desktop file **as** openbox.desktop.
>>
>> 4. In the user's ~/ (I'm the only user, so that's where I put the
>> script; I suppose you could do it globally if you wanted, but I don't
>> know where you'd put the file), create "openbox.sh"; mine says:
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
>> famd &
>> wmsetbg ~/fluxbox/backgrounds/flower.png
>> LinNeighborhood -m &
>> wmtz &
>> wmweather+ -station KJFK &
>> gkrellm2 -w &
>> pypanel &
>> gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=boinc &
>> exec openbox
>>
>> Naturally you would edit this for your own startup programs, but
>> afaik, the only rules (other than the "shebang" at the start for the
>> bash script) are that all the programs must be backgrounded with a &
>> except for Openbox, which has to be the last thing started, and left
>> in the foreground.
>>
>> Save the script with the name you said you would use in the
>> openbox.desktop file, make it executable, and log out; the "Openbox"
>> entry should now appear in the GDM menu, and choosing it should run
>> the script.
>>
>> It does for me, anyway.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>> Holly
>>
> I,m curious about the line
>
> /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-deamon &
>
> is this for making icons work in say nautilus....?
>
> Dave

No, it's for making menu fonts look normal in the GTK apps I use when
GNOME is not running (Firefox, Thunderbird, gnome-terminal, etc).
Otherwise they would be so tiny they might not be readable-- a lot of
people complain about this when running Mozilla under KDE, which is how
I found out about it.

I don't use nautilus under Openbox-- way too slow, and then you have to
watch for the --no-desktop switch or else you're basically running GNOME
anyway-- but I do use Gnome Commander, which also probably wants the
settings daemon. I might also want to see how gnome-panel runs under OB
(currently I use pypanel, which is great, but I'm in GNOME for a minute
and having the panel show apps from all windows is kinda cool), and I'm
95% certain that that will want the settings daemon to be running.

Holly

Holly