[openbox] Resize action

Jamin W. Collins jcollins at asgardsrealm.net
Wed Jun 23 14:35:52 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 08:04:39PM +0200, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
>
> >I've recently moved from Blackbox to Openbox on a few of my machines.
> >I've managed to migrate most of my configuration from Blackbox over.
> >While I understand that Openbox is not Blackbox and vice versa, I
> >would like to keep as much of the interface as possible intact and
> >functioning as it was.  Right now the only sticking point I've found
> >is the Resize functionality.  I've rebound it from the default
> >(ALT+Middle-Drag) to Blackbox's binding (ALT+Right-Drag), but it
> >seems that Openbox's Resize is only one dimension at a time.  That is
> >if the mouse moves horizontally first that is the only direction the
> >window can be Resized until it is released, same goes for vertical.
> >Is there any way of changing this so that a window can be resized
> >both horizontal and vertical at the same time?
>
> It depends on where you grab the window, there are eight "corners". If
> you grab in one of the corner corners, you can resize in both
> directions. I think there's an option to only have four corners so
> that you can always resize both directions... No, that's only in my
> tree, i should merge that some time.

I know of the corners and they do work just fine.  However, I got used
to using the ALT+RightClick option in Blackbox and was trying to
configure Openbox to do the same thing.  It appears that the Resize
option when using a mousebind effects the side/corner directly opposite
the initial mouse movement and only that side/corner.  That is if I
activate the mousebind and then move my mouse directly left it will only
effect the right side until I release and reactivate the bind.  While I
can somewhat understand this I still prefer the Blackbox method of
resizing from the bottom right always.  With this I could quickly
reposition the window in question with the ALT+LeftClick and then resize
with the ALT+RightClick.  I find the Openbox resize functionality to
consume significantly more time and mouse clicks.

This is just my opinion and impression of course.

--
Jamin W. Collins

"Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups."
-- John Kenneth Galbraith