[openbox] How to automatically position a window?

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sat Jun 12 08:54:16 EDT 2004

Last Saturday 12 June 2004 04:00, Marc Wilson was like:
> > 2. run script after startup
>
> What window manager does this, and what would be the point?  What can you
> accomplish with the window manager launching some script that you can't
> accomplish via your xinitrc/xsession file?

There are currently two things that I can't do with my .xinitrc - one is gamma
correction (I have a dodgy monitor, that needs compensating) and the other is
using a custom cursor. These things are entirely to do with what I'm already
calling from .xinitrc and my slightly odd set-up and lack of bash-scripting
experience. Currently I trigger these eye-candy hacks with a keybinding.

It would be nice if the script could be run automatically after start-up.

As the ethos of openbox is clearly not to bloat it with extraneous functions,
it might be worth making a clear statement about this in the FAQ/docs with
some suggestions of the kind of tools / helper applications that people tend
to use. The screenshots show all sorts of things like panel/taskbar and even
desktop icons (!!!). New users who are used to monolithic systems like KDE
_are_ going to keep asking how to do this stuff.

As openbox becomes more popular, which surely it must, an openbox-users list
could be a more appropriate place for this kind of discussion. I could
prattle on for hours on this topic, but I don't want to be spamming the
developers with it.

All due respect,

tim hall