[openbox] two menu files when using a separate taskbar/launcher and other questions

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Jul 22 15:22:25 EDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, David Barr wrote:

> > I am researching using different taskbar/launchers, such as fspanel,
> > fbpanel, and taskbar.
> > Are there others that you like to use?
>
> xfce4 has a nice toolbar window list why not just stick with that?

It does look nice, but it does get confusing with different launch icons
and menus that go up and down based on a arrow up or down. Also, I don't
like how it has toolbar separate from task list taking up extra space. And
it appears that maximizing windows goes under the toolbar (maybe they call
it a systray?). I know it can be configured somewhat. But I want something
simpler but still looks nice.

> > What do you do about having different menu file formats for the launcher
> > and openbox?
> >
> > Is there a GUI tool for managing the menu file(s)?
>
> the menu file is fairly basic to edit by hand...

This is for my wife, kids, and others.

I have manually updated menu configs by hands many times; I have written
software for icewm and blackbox to generate menus.

But I don't expect my young kids or family to edit a config file;
especially since they can make typos. A nice gui to add an entry to a menu
would be nice for them.

I really want a plug-in-play environment; so I can switch between
blackbox, openbox, xfce4, icewm, taskbar, pypanel, fspanel, fbpanel, et
cetera and have all my menus ready and behave the same. I guess I can
extend my menu scripts to generate more menus :)

> > Also, I didn't see on the "about" or other webpages if openbox supports
> > customizable placement and choices for window titlebar buttons and if it
> > supports rounded or customized titlebars and window borders. Does it?
> >

> try obconf of you like gui things, but it is no menu editor.
> http://icculus.org/openbox/obconf/

I have looked at obconf; is there somewhere to add suggestions for obconf?
Or would obconf accept a patch to support menu configurations?

> i'm not sure you really want rounded edges :) openbox of course supports
> customised borders to some degree, see the links page for where to get
> them

Thanks for your information.

I still can't find the documentation for creating my own themes so I can
see the customized borders.

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/