[openbox] Openbox 2.X

David Barr dpb at clara.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 15:14:37 EDT 2004

Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:

>Is the 2.X series now completely abandoned? I personally prefer it, and
>it's provided by 3rd part APT/YUM repositories for Fedora Core (which
>suggests I'm not alone).

perhaps...

>If not, how would the developers feel about anyone else picking it up and
>maintaining/improving it? Because of the license, their approval is not
>required, of course, but it'd be preferable to me if I were to do this.
>
>Sam

I don;t understand the obsession with the 2.x 'series' for the time i
think it was a good alternative to blackbox, which was an aging project,
with little or no constructive development happening. Openbox 3 was a
whole different kettle of fish - i suspect that a lot of people did not
upgrade to OB3 and that ob3 brought a new crowd rather then the *box
stalwarts, who were maybe to smart to use fluxbox and to fed up with
blackbox being lacking.

A lot of the 'features' in ob2 were hacks anyway - cvs blackbox is a
pretty happening place right now if you want that sort of thing.

in short i think ob2 was good at the time but i don't think reinventing
it is a constructive thing, however, your time is your own so...

david