[openbox] Multiple menu files

Jamin W. Collins jcollins at asgardsrealm.net
Mon Jul 12 10:49:50 EDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 06:00:18PM -0700, Robert Carson wrote:
> I think there is something crufty about your menu.xml file.  Try
> nameing it something else like 'my-menu.xml' and putting an entry into
> rc.xml between the <menu> tags like this:
>
> <file>my-menu.xml</file>
>
> remember this is a NEW entry in RC.XML if you already have an menu
> file entry between the <menu> tag then leave it alone.  hope this
> helps...

Adding the new entry seems to be an improvement in that the root menu
doesn't disappear after selecting Reconfigure.  However my personal menu
is no where to be found.  There's no error in the log output about not
find it but there is a warning:

I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/jcollins/.config/openbox/menu.xml"

This make sense since the referenced file no longer exists.

So now the configuration entries look like this:

<menu>
  <!-- You can specify more than one menu file in here and they are all loaded,
       just don't make menu ids clash or, well, it'll be kind of pointless -->

  <!-- system menu files on Debian systems -->
  <file>/var/lib/openbox/debian-menu.xml</file>

  <!-- default menu file (or custom one in $HOME/.config/openbox/) -->
  <file>menu.xml</file>
  <file>my-menu.xml</file>
</menu>

and the following files exist:

$ ls -l /var/lib/openbox/debian-menu.xml
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        22960 2004-07-09 17:43 /var/lib/openbox/debian-menu.xml

$ ls -l ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml
ls: /home/jcollins/.config/openbox/menu.xml: No such file or directory

$ ls -l ~/.config/openbox/my-menu.xml
-rw-r--r--    1 jcollins jcollins     4855 2004-07-11 16:46 /home/jcollins/.config/openbox/my-menu.xml

Suggestions?

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar