struts question

John Russell drjimmy42 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 12:45:58 EST 2004

The way I understand struts are that they are an area defined by a
client into which the window manager should not place/maximize any other
client.

Do gnome panels only set struts when they are on the edges of the
screen? When a gnome panel is floating in the middle of the screen, it
doesn't appear to affect the placement of any other clients.

I ask because this calculation apparently goes into the calculation of
the Rect area** in screen.c which holds an array of array of desktop
holding array of xinerama areas and I don't think its behaving properly
right now.  I'm trying to figure out why.  Thanks.

John