[openbox] Openbox FAQs

William O'Higgins openbox at nerd.cx
Mon Jan 19 00:44:31 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 05:59:31AM +0100, Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:

>perfectly correct. I think you are right that there is a need for
>a better FAQ, but I have only seen 1 of your questions asked in here
>since I joined the mailing list. Listing the obvious will not hurt
>though.

Your notes about the execution of commands in the .xsession script are
well taken.  I am certainly doing a great deal wrong, but I am not using
(x|k|g)dm, and as such I invoke things with an .xinitrc.  When I
experimented with adding things to this script and I didn't include the
sleeps they did not function correctly.  Most commonly I would get a
grey, checked screen with an x cursor that I had to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
out of.  If you have the time|inclination I would love to hear more
about the process.  That said, what I have posted does work.

Regarding the triviality of the FAQ entries; I knew enough to answer
these questions through experience and reading through the documentation
in its entirety.  If a user lacks experience and/or patience they may
look at the FAQ.  Since the FAQ is no one's priority right now, it is
pathetic.  So I present a survey of the trivial questions that I needed
answered to get up and running.

If Openbox is supposed to offer a window manager for the high-clue set
only, then don't bother documenting it at all -- high-clue users can
read the source.  Otherwise, cater to the entry-level user who is first
a hobbyist, then a zealot, and then after a period of time, perhaps a
useful member of the community.

One last thing:  the entries on backgrounds and tabs may not have been
asked in your tenure on the list, but they have been asked often enough
that they dot the archives regularly and required documentation and a
well-reasoned screed, respectively.
--

yours,

William