[openbox] OpenBox 3.0 and Transparency [longish]

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at bellavista.cz
Tue Jan 13 07:58:51 EST 2004

# shadow at serverart.org / 2004-01-13 06:37:06 -0600:
> Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> ># neuhauser at bellavista.cz / 2004-01-09 10:32:01 +0100:
> >># neuhauser at bellavista.cz / 2004-01-08 18:50:15 +0100:

> >>   Date: 2004-01-08 17:22
> >>   Sender: gcw
> >>   Logged In: YES
> >>   user_id=22709
> >>
> >>   rxvt [-/+ip] is InheritPixmap which is fast artificial
> >>   transparency.  This is worked around in later 2.7 versions
> >>   for  applications which set the root background and also set
> >>   the _XROOTPMAP_ID atom appropriately.  Try upgrading to
> >>   2.7.10.  Current aterm should also work properly.
> >
> >   I tried to follow up to the PR at www.rxvt.org, but the tracker
> >   ignores me, so the rxvt guys won't see this:
> >
> >   transparency in 2.7.10 is terribly slow: the background catches up
> >   after like half a second after dragging the window, and doesn't work
> >   reliably: shade the window, unshade, it has white background (moving
> >   the window "fixes" it).
> >
> >   I reverted to 2.6.4 with solid background until I find a terminal
> >   that works with openbox-3 like rxvt-2.6.4 does with openbox-2.
>
> i've been using aterm, and now, gnome-terminal.   neither one updates
> during the drag with openbox3 (3.1), but after the drag there are no
> issues and the pseudo transparency updates just fine.

    I don't want the window contents refreshed during move; I don't want
    to *see* the contents while moving the window (I use
    session.opaqueMove: False with openbox-2; NB: the frame drawn during
    non-opaque move in ob3 is somehow obtrusive, I think it's thicker or
    something).

    What I'm talking about is what happens when I *release* the window:
    It displays the old background for about half a second, then catches
    up.