[openbox] Run on startup

Marc Wilson msw at cox.net
Tue Dec 14 22:14:50 EST 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 01:37:46PM -0800, Aaron Gyes wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 19:56 -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
> > Huh?  Why would you need g-s-d to set a GTK theme?
>
> gnome-settings-daemon does a bunch of critical stuff if you want to do
> Gnome stuff without actually running all of Gnome.

Well, I want to run a grand total of two Gnome-aware applications...
glabels and Mozilla.

> It'll do fontconfig stuff

Which fontconfig does on its own... I have no idea what you think g-s-d
does in relation to fontconfig.

> DPI stuff

Last time I checked, the screen DPI wasn't something that changed
regularly, and was in need of a daemon to set it properly.  Telling X what
the screen DPI is in the traditional manner works just fine.

> set the GTK themes to those set in Gnome Control Center

That presumes you think Gnome Control Center is a worthy application.
Certainly it's no issue to simply set the GTK theme appropriately in
~/.gtkrc-2.0, and ignore it thereafter.

> and it'll run all the daemons you need such as gconfd and
> gnome-volume-manager (the hal thing, not sound volume)

Applications that need gconfd are perfectly capable of starting gconfd if
it's not already running... Mozilla is forever starting and stopping the
gods-be-damned thing.  I made sure that all sources gconfd looks at were
read-only so that it couldn't f*ck things up.

As for gnome-volume-manager and HAL, whyinhell would I want that?  Next
you're going to tell me everyone should use udev. <shudder>

> It's only bad if you think Gnome is bad.

And he finally gets the point.

--
 Marc Wilson |     "Consequences, Schmonsequences, as long as I'm rich."
 msw at cox.net |     -- Looney Tunes, Ali Baba Bunny (1957, Chuck Jones)