[openbox] [ANNOUNCE] Openbox-3.0-beta6 released

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Fri Sep 26 15:40:21 EDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 02:15:12PM -0500, Mike wrote:

> On Friday, September 26, 2003 at 02:54PM, Ben Jansens wrote:
> Yeah I understand, too many options can cause problems and confusion.
>
> Are you saying that would just leave under and random? I always thought
> place_random() was kindof a strange placement method, figured cascade would
> be the more requested type. Even when I didn't use under mouse placement, I
> never cared for smart, mostly just stuck to cascade.

I personally despise cascade. I know Apple uses it and they are "the
usability kings" and whatnot, but I can't wrap my head around placing
windows so that they almost entirely cover other windows, on purpose. I
think random is preferable to this :)

> Actually, click to place would have probably been the better choice for me
> since I usually end up moving the window around anyway. Someone had
> requested that at one time, should use the under mouse placement code, but
> then just has to grab the window. Any thoughts on that?

Click to place is extremely intrusive, and I don't expect to add it.

> >Interest in focus follows mouse? Personally I think its a horrible thing,
> >designed for a simple implementation, not for good usability. However,
> >Openbox supports it. I don't see how that changes whether there should be a
> >lot of placement schemes or not.
>
> Whoops, I meant to say for window placement types, not focus.
>
> ob2 had quite a bit more, I just meant to say IF there were a bunch
> (cascade, smart, under, click, etc.), calling a place->type(client, y, x)
> might look than having a massive if().

Yeah, it did, and it was really a sore point if you ask me :)

I just had a great idea (I hope).

A) Place-under-mouse, as far as I can tell, is a sloppy-focus paradigm only.
   So it only needs to be available when using sloppy focus.

B) With place-under-mouse and sloppy focus, the new window will always be
   focused.

I have taken these observations and made the following: UnderMouse will be
used *in place of* Smart placement (as the primary placement) when using
sloppy-focus with focusNew enabled. When focusNew is not enabled, you don't
want the windows under the mouse, as that would just cause them to be
focused, so it will use Smart placement in this case.

Hope that made sense. :) We'll see if this will "just work" with how people
use their window manager.

Ben