[openbox] Announcing bgmenu for openbox

Michael Rasile keeper at neo.rr.com
Sat Sep 6 23:50:12 EDT 2003

On Sun Sep 07, 2003 at 09:47:38AM +0930 or thereabouts, Tim Riley wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 04:49, Michael Rasile wrote:
> > Greetings! Thought I would give ob3 and bgmenu a try. Was wondering if you
> > could give a little more info on how to get this to work. Sorry, I tried the
> > directions as you gave them and put the suggested line into my menu.xml file
> > but nothing seems to work. I can't get it to work. I know it's me. I have
> > used ob2 for a long time and the adjustment to the new style has not been
> > easy and certainly that's not the fault of ob, but mine. Any help or
> > suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Salutations Michael Rasile!
>
> If you can't get it to work, please tell me what sort of behaviour you
> encounter, otherwise we won't be able to debug your problem.  "It
> doesn't work" isn't good enough.
>
> Hugs,
>
> Tim

Greetings!
My apologies for being so vague. What I don't understand is the format for
the line that goes in the menu.xml:
<menu id="bg-menu" label="Backgrounds" execute="/location/of/bgmenu.rb"/>

I put this line, changing the /location of bgmenu.rb, of course, to point to
the script, into my menu.xml.  Should the line be exactly as you state it.
That is, is it in the correct format and should I type it exactly as you
gave it. There are no errors to report because nothing shows up in the menu
to execute. Also, just exactly what should go in the ~/.openbox/bgmenurc. I
found that a little confusing: /directory/of/images mode. Should that be:
~/.openbox/backgrounds full. Sorry, but I find the new format for ob3 a
little more complex than ob2. I suppose I should just continue to use ob2,
but it bothers me that I can't get your script to work. It certainly is not
the fault of the script. If I could at least get the item Backgrounds to
show up in my menu, I would be happy. :-) Also, which menu should I be
editing, the one in /usr/local/share/openbox or ~/.openbox/menu.xml??
I hope I've explained this clearly. If not, thanks for taking the time to
respond.

--
Regards,
Mike