[openbox] openbox 3 comments/questions

Mike logan at dct.com
Thu Oct 16 23:02:59 EDT 2003

On Thursday, October 16, 2003 at 07:32PM, Marc Wilson wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 02:12:03AM -0400, poing wrote:
>> -obconf ought to have some more features like editing the rc and menu
>> files, the xml file format is not very user friendly for manual editing.
>
>Depends on what you're using to do the editing.  Anything decent that knows
>what an XML file is will make it easy to make sure the keys match.  It's
>just a little time consuming to move from one to the other.  I moved a
>large, complex openbox2 menu over to openbox3 in less than a hour, and most
>of that was figuring out how to nest menus.

Yeah, vim syntax highlighting really helps. It's not all that bad...

>> Having to redo your menu file manually in xml (lacking any conversion
>> scripts so far) is gonna put people off trying openbox 3.
>
>Doubtful.  Few people create menus of any significance.  If you think there
>should be one, write one.  I thought there should be, then I realized that
>there was really no point as it was a one-time thing for myself.  It
>wouldn't be all that hard... you could do something that'd work in 10-20
>lines of perl or awk.
>
>"When it's time to railroad, people start railroading."

I thought about making one, but like Marc said, it's a one time change and doesn't take too much time. I'm sure someone will make one eventually.

>> -I don't like that NextWindow now shows an icon of the window you're
>> switching to and you then have to let go for it to switch focus. I much
>> preferred the instant focus changing like with openbox2. I think this
>> should be an option.
>
>Funny, it *is* a configurable option.  The documentation is your friend.

Hiding the dialog is an option, but that's it. I happen to agree with poing on the last bit, I don't care much for the behavior of actions not finishing until the keys are released (or whatever you want to say).

Takes a little getting used to.

As far as the dialogs go:
  <keybind key="C-A-Left">
  </keybind>