[openbox] building & restarting

Matthew Graybosch mgraybosch at starbreaker.net
Thu Oct 9 18:32:15 EDT 2003

Brett Campbell wrote:
> Hey i just tried to join #openbox on freenode but apparently i'm not
> invited ;-)
>
> Is it possible to replace a currently-running openbox with a newly-built
> one? IOW, i don't want to leave X11. Can i perhaps switch to twm or
> something and then do `make [un]install` and switch back to ob?

Brett, all I do is do "make uninstall" for the old version, configure
and make install the new version, and use the "restart" switch in the
menu as long as the build goes OK.

At least, that's what I did before I switched to Gentoo, but the
principle's the same: you don't have to drop out of X to upgrade
Openbox. Hope this helps.

--
Matthew Graybosch
http://www.starbreaker.net