[openbox] openbox focus wish list

John Russell drjimmy42 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 14:58:55 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 14:28, Alexander Futasz wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 11:00:03 -0400, John Russell wrote:
> >
> > In
> > metacity, the current cycled window gets a black outline around it,
> > which shows up even for covered windows.  If you haven't seen it, its
> > worth a look just to see the feature.  Anyway, I found that a really
> > good way to do alt-tab window cycling.
> >
> > In the function focus_cycle in focus.c I added one line just under
> > frame_adjust_focus.  See clip below.
> >
> > Line 345
> > if (valid_focus_target(ft)) {
> >     if (ft != focus_cycle_target) /* prevents flicker */  {
> >          if (focus_cycle_target)
> >             frame_adjust_focus(focus_cycle_target->frame, FALSE);
> >
> >         focus_cycle_target = ft;
> >         frame_adjust_focus(focus_cycle_target->frame, TRUE);
> >         client_raise(focus_cycle_target);  <===== This is the line
> >     }
> >     popup_cycle(ft, dialog);
> >     return;
> > }
> >
> > What this does, is as windows are being cycled through, it raises each
> > current window so you can see which one it is.  This has some
> > drawbacks though....
>
> When I saw this I thought adding <action name="Raise"/> to the A-Tab
> binding would do the same (Yeah it still has the drawbacks you mentioned
> anyway, messed up stacking etc), but that somehow always raises the
> wrong window when alt tabbing. Is this worth a bugreport, Ben?

I actually tried adding the action to rc.xml first.  I added it
alternatively before and after the NextWindow action.  Each time, it was
raising the window that was being removed from the top of the stack.  In
other words, it would raise the window that I expected to be raised that
alt-tab before.  It was always one window behind.

Still, assuming this worked the way I expected, it just allows you to do
what I did in C in xml.  XML is much nicer to edit of course, (and no
recompile) but it still has all the drawbacks of raising instead of
highlighting.

John