[openbox] sloppy focus?

corey at streamreel.net corey at streamreel.net
Sun Nov 16 18:30:55 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 10:58:19PM +1030, Tim Riley wrote:
> El lun, 17-11-2003 a las 03:00, corey at streamreel.net escribió:
> > On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 12:30:30AM -0500, Ben Jansens wrote:
<snip>
> > > I applied this same logic to the focus order, which was not even present
> > > when FFM was first applied to WMs. You want to the window you are going to
> > > be using to be moved to the front of the focus order, not all the windows in
> > > between.
> > >
> >   Again, our friendly neighborhood "autoRaiseDelay" is here for us.
> >   We're still on the same page at this point.
>
> with a delay-before-raise only, the windows would still get focus
> straight away and thus screw up the focus order.  This is what Ben is
> talking about.

  Definitely - I must have nobrained on that comment.

> > <snip talk about adding more options>
> >
> >   The ObConf "Behavior" tab might then look something this:
>
> The ObConf "Behaviour" tab is already pretty full.

  A new tab could remedy that pretty easily. One tab for window behavior,
  and another tab for mouse/focus behavior.

> I particularly don't like the idea of having 2 levels of option nesting.

  Ok:

Focusing Windows

   Delay before focusing windows ("Lazy Focus"): |___|

   |__| Focus strictly follows mouse ("Sloppy Focus")
          Delay before raising windows: |___|

   |__| Raise windows when the mouse pointer moves over them

   |__| Focus new windows when they appear

  Setting Lazy Focus to a non-zero does the following:

    1 - greys out and unsets the Sloppy Focus option
    2 - sets "followMouse" ('config_focus_follow') to true
    3 - sets "lazyFocus" ('config_lazy_focus') to true

  Selecting Sloppy Focus checkbox does the following:

    1 - greys out and unsets the Lazy Focus option
    2 - sets "followMouse" ('config_focus_follow') to true
    3 - sets "sloppyFocus" ('config_sloppy_focus') to true

> >   So I spent the time to review the codebase, considered what I thought was
> >   a decent approach, hacked around, tested, and submitted what turned out to
> >   be a very small patch. [edit: and now I've just submitted a new one...]
>
> Sweet!  Nice work.  Note that even if this doesn't go into openbox, you
> still have the problem solvered.

  I'm just a solverin' fool! Just call me... The Solverator.

  I'm still hoping my aspiring solveration proclamations get solverized into
  the solvering ob3 mainline.  ( or something like that )   <grin>

> Please accept this expression of my distinguished feelings,

  Much appreciated.

Its-never-too-early-for-beers'ly yours,

Corey