some problems with rox and openbox

Thomas Loescher thomas.loescher at gmx.de
Thu Mar 27 15:00:15 EST 2003

dear openbox users/developers,

at first, thank you developing such a small and fast windowmanager.

It seems to be the one I could use in the future, small, fast and compatible with the most (all?) blackbox compatible programs. Currently I'm using icewm, but I have there some problem wich are seem to be harder to resolve, so I'm thinking about changing the wm.
O.K. back to openbox:
I red on your website, that openbox should be compatible with rox. That's really nice, because I linke rox very much.
 But there seems to be a problem with using rox. I don't know if it's an openbox problem, but I don't have the problem with rox and icewm, so I try to solve my problem at first here ;-)
When I start rox from a xterm inside a running openbox (for testing purposes only) and after that I change the openbox style, everytime rox crashes. I'm using the most recent version of rox and openbox 2.3
Is this a known problem?

Second (also rox related):
When I open the openbox root menu (rox is running) the menu will not be kept open. It disappears immediately after releasing the mousebutton. But when I move the mouse pointer away from the menu (mousebutton is keeping pressed) and I release the mouse button after moving the pointer away the menu will stay on desktop and I can use it.
Is this a settings problem? Where can I change this behavior?
(is it possible, thta the menu-problem is a *box-windowmamnager problem? Because I had the same behavior with fluxbox.)

Update: O.K. before sending this email I red on the rox-website something about the problems of the *box-wm with rox. So it seems that openbox has still the same problems. Is that right? will this problem be fixed in the future?

Sorry for starting posting in this ml with openbox problem (perhaps not real openbox problems) but I would like to use openbox together with rox, and at the moment it doesn't work really good.

Thanks for reading this and best regards

from switzerland

Thomas